Jennifer Chain, Ph.D.
President and Owner
I love working with clients who are ready to overcome the following issues and concerns: perfectionism, burn out, relationship and interpersonal issues, depression, anxiety, trauma and PTSD, eating disorders, body image concerns, self-esteem, work and/or academic stress, family of origin issues, women's issues, grief & loss, life transitions, racial identity, sexual orientation and sexual identity, gender identity, spirituality, multicultural issues, impact of cultural bias and oppression (e.g., racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia).
I offer couples therapy for couples who have grown distant to re-establish a safe and secure attachment bond. I work from a Health at Every Size approach, which means that I value self-acceptance, body diversity, mindful and intuitive eating, healthy lifestyle habits, and joyful movement.
Some of my specialties in research and multicultural counseling are focused on individuals who identify as Asian American and Pacific Islander, Latinx, American Indian and Alaska Native, African American, international students, and immigrants. See below for some of my selected research and publications. These specialties are informed by my personal experiences as a Chinese immigrant and professional experiences a therapist and researcher of color. Some of the issues that impact these communities include cultural adjustment, language barriers, socioeconomic status, immigration status, multicultural identity development, experiences of racism and oppression, cross cultural communication, code switching, generation gap, stigma against mental health care, access to culturally relevant care, interracial relationships, internalized oppression, colorism, intergenerational trauma, imposter syndrome, model minority myth, stereotype threat, racial trauma, religion, sexual harassment and assault, and the current political climate in the U.S. and globally.
I am a bicultural and a bilingual therapist of color. I was born in China and grew up in both my country of origin and Sacramento, CA. My immigrant, bi-cultural, and bilingual backgrounds are important parts of my multiple intersecting identities. Being a highly sensitive person, growing up across cultures with an interracial family, and struggling through my own mental health concerns sparked my interest in and curiosity about psychology. I wanted to know how people overcome challenges, heal their pain, and ultimately transform through adversity.
I received my bachelor’s degree from Smith College, where I majored in psychology and minored in studio art. Smith was where I found my passion for social justice and my voice as an advocate. I received my Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology in 2016 from the University of Oregon. My research focused on multicultural identities and resilience. I completed my APA accredited internship at the University of Oregon Counseling and Testing Center. I completed my postdoctoral residency at Strong Integrated Behavioral Health in Eugene, Oregon. I have extensive clinical experience in residential treatment, private practice, university counseling center, community mental health, and primary care settings. I moved to Seattle in 2017 to open my private practice.
In my free time, I love to spend time with friends, explore nature, travel to new places, and make delicious food.
- Featured in the SeattleMet article: Wong, E. (2021, February 12). How to navigate long-distance love. Retrieved from https://www.seattlemet.com/style-and-shopping/2021/02/how-to-navigate-long-distance-relationships-covid-19
- Sun, X., Hall, G.C.N., DeGarmo, D.S., Chain, J., & Fong, M.C. (2020). A longitudinal investigation of discrimination and mental health in Chinese international students: The role of social connectedness. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 1-17. doi: 10.1177/0022022120979625
- Featured in The Seattle Times article: Szczypinski, S. (2019, September 25). Why it’s so hard to stay happy at work — and what Seattle therapists say you can do about it. The Seattle Times. Retrieved from https://www.seattletimes.com/explore/careers/why-its-so-hard-to-stay-happy-at-work
- Hewitt, A. A., Watson, L. B., DeBlaere, C., Dispenza, F., Guzmán, C. E., Cadenas, G., Tran, A. G. T. T., Chain, J., & Ferdinand, L. (2017). Leadership development in counseling psychology: Voices of leadership academy alumni. The Counseling Psychologist, 45(7), 992–1016. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000017740429
- Chain, J., Shapiro, V.B., LeBuffe, M.A., Bryson, A.M., & The American Indian and Alaska Native Advisory Committee (2017). Academic achievement of American Indian and Alaska Native students: Does social emotional competence reduce the impact of poverty? American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, 24(1), 1-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.5820/aian.2401.2017.1
- Chain, J. (2016). A multilevel analysis of student, family, and school factors associated with Latino/a parental involvement in the middle school learning environment (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Oregon, Eugene, OR.
- Hall, G. C. N., Martinez, Jr., C. R. Tuan, M., McMahon, T. R., & Chain, J. (2011). Toward ethnocultural diversification of higher education. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 17(3), 243-251. doi: 10.1037/a0024036
Certifications and Trainings
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy Externship
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy Core Skills
- American Psychological Association
- Washington State Psychological Association
- Washington Mental Health Counselors Association
Individual Intake Session
Couples Intake Session
Individual Therapy Session (In-person or Online)
Couples Therapy Session (In-person or Online)
I am not paneled with any insurance company. My clients attend therapy on an out-of-network basis or pay for sessions out of pocket. If you would like to use your out-of-network benefits, please contact your insurance company prior to our first meeting and ask what the out-of-network reimbursement would be for outpatient in-person or online psychotherapy. The specific amount of this reimbursement depends on your plan. I will provide you with the statements your insurance requires.